The immune system plays a key role in defending the body against diseases and illnesses. It is a complex system that is made up of cells, bone marrow, tissues, blood, and organs that work in synergy to ward off infections. Thus, it is important to take regular measures to boost your immunity and safeguard your health.
That said, bolstering your immunity is often easier said than done. There are various dietary and lifestyle changes that may help to strengthen the body’s natural defenses and fight harmful infection-causing agents.
In this article, we will look at the best ways to boost your immune system and lead a healthy life.
Ways to Boost Your Immune System
Indulge in a Healthy Diet
Certain immune-boosting foods can do wonders for your overall health. Some of the highly recommended immunity boosters are:
- Vitamin C-Rich Foods: Vitamin C is known to offer enduring benefits for the immune system. It helps in the growth and repair of body tissues as well as promotes wound healing. As an antioxidant, it fights free radicals and prevents the occurrence of various diseases such as cancer and heart ailments. The most common vitamin C foods are kiwi, strawberries, oranges, broccoli, kale, and cantaloupe.
- Antioxidants: Several food items contain a heavy amount of antioxidants. These antioxidants protect the body from oxidative stress and lead to an immune boost. Most common foods that are rich in antioxidants include colorful fruits and vegetables such as carrots, berries, spinach, etc.
- Prebiotics: One of the most important effects of prebiotics is the stimulation of the immune system. These prebiotics increase the population of good bacteria in the gut that helps to prevent infections. Noteworthy sources of prebiotics are asparagus, artichokes, green bananas, etc.
Make Some Lifestyle Improvements
Stress is one of the most significant contributors to weak immunity. Living under constant stress causes the body to produce too much cortisol, i.e. the stress hormone. Increased levels of cortisol in the body reduce its capability to fight off infections.
Some lifestyle changes that can lead to an immune boost include:
- Adequate Sleep: It is important to get seven to eight hours of sleep every night. For those suffering from insomnia, it is a good idea to indulge in mindfulness or try cognitive behavioral therapy. This can help to improve the quality of sleep and promote health and wellbeing.
- Exercise: Indulging in exercise every day is a great way to stay fit. It increases your resilience to ward off infections and enables the body to function adequately. Ideally, one must perform at least 30-40 minutes of cardio and strength training five times a week. This will help to boost the immune system.
- Meditation: Meditation is an excellent technique that lets you focus on your breath. This has enduring health benefits as it lowers the heart rate, reduces blood pressure, and alleviates anxiety. Additionally, it also helps to induce sleep that further leads to better immunity.
Go For Natural Immunity Aids
There are many different kinds of natural immunity aids available nowadays that help to boost the immune system. Some of the most common ones are as follows:
- Supplements: Many times, mineral and vitamin deficiencies manifest in the body that weakens the immune system. For instance, a deficiency in vitamin C or vitamin D may increase an individual’s susceptibility to infection. In that case, taking supplements may help. However, it is important to talk to your doctor before including any supplement into your everyday regimen.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils such as black seed oil are known to have incredible benefits for the immune system. Obtained from Nigella Sativa, a flower native to the Middle East and southwest Asia, black seed oil contains over 100 valuable components. It is rich in proteins, carbohydrates, fatty acids, and several other minerals and vitamins. It helps to boost the body’s natural immune system and ease cough and cold. Besides, it has excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
These are some of the best ways to boost your immune system. Many times, even with lots of sleep, exercise, and vitamin C, people still fall sick. Just remember, it is all fine. Take some time to recharge your body. Consume healthy foods and take rest to gain your strength back.